Monday, May 16, 2011

Two Week Post Op ...

It has been two weeks now since I had my surgery and the road to recovery has been up and down. My experience from all of this was a big bag of mixed emotions.

                                                                         DAY 1

The day of my surgery I had to be there for 7 AM and boy that day was rough, while I waited in the pre surgery I broke down and cried. I was very scared of not knowing what to expect when I woke from this. The OR nurse came to get me at 8:30 AM I gave my husband a kiss as I didn't know when I would get the chance to kiss him again. As I knew my face would be swollen and not be able to feel my lips. I got into the OR and I seen surgeon and bunch of other people there and I was still pretty upset by all of what was about to happen. I looked around the OR room and seen all the instruments and thought to myself is that being all used on me? Which only made me more nervous. They gave me some needles then the gas mask and I was out.

 Next thing I know is someone man is calling my name this is when they pulled the breathing tube out (don't recall but I was told)  and then I hear my name again and I wake up in the recovery room. I then asked my nurse what time it was and she stated 1:40PM. I then told her to put me up as I couldn't breath. She told me my vitals were fine and my oxygen levels were fine too. Then a few mins later she came and gave me a needle that opened my airways. The reason for this was the tube that they put down your throat to help you breath well it had irritated my throat and so therefore it was swollen making if difficult to breath. I had then asked her if I was wired shut or had elastics. She looked and stated she didn't see anything. I was surprised as surgeon had told me he would be using wires or elastics. I was very happy to hear that I wasn't either. So I waited a little while longer in the recovery area until my constant care nurse came.

 Around 3:30 PM the constant care nurse came and wheeled me up to my unit along with two other ladies one was the nurse who was taking care of in recovery and another from respiratory. As we were going through this extremely hot hallway I thought to god I was gonna get sick or pass out from the heat. As this hallway was made up of glass so the sun was beaming through therefore making it very hot. When I looked up, one of the nurses said to me there is someone who has been anxiously waiting for you. There was my husband I gave him a big way and somewhat of a smile. He came into my room and told me surgeon was very pleased on how the surgery went and that it took 5 1/2 hrs and told me that surgeon did have to break my chin, not long before the nurse who was taking care of me asked him to leave as I needed my rest. Well that didn't go to accord to plan, I couldn't rest I really wish I could have slept that first night but she sat there the whole time watching me, which believe it or not makes it hard to sleep. She was very surprise with the amount of drugs that were giving to me that I was still wake.

 I did end up having problems with my IC condition just like I knew I would and do you think they had any idea what I was going through NOPE no one understands what it is unless you have it yourself. The surgery had me stressed out just made matters worse. The lady who was next to me knew more about the condition as her sister had it. She told me her sister got her bladder taken out because she couldn't put up the pain anymore and the lady suggested I don't take the route if all possible as her sister is worse off. My constant cares nurses were getting pretty peeved at me as I would have to go to the bathroom every half hour or so and they would have to unhook my IV from the wall. One of them said to me " Really you have to go again"  I apologized to them and explained this is what happens. I asked them if I could get a hot water bottle as it can sometime calm down my condition, she stated no as it wasn't safe ( I have been doing this now for three years) oh well I suffered that night.


                                                                            DAY 2 


Second day my husband came by and I was so happy to see him and my hot water bottle ( I texted him to bring it in I didn't care at this point if I was allowed or not) my constant care nurse was gone. He took good care of me in the hospital. Now the unit I was on was not familiar with cases (jaw surgery) like me and really didn't know what to do. The nurses even told me this and well let's just say that made me a tad nervous as well. They said they don't get many cases of jaw surgery on that unit. Don't get me wrong they were a friendly bunch (except one).  My husband went and got my cold packs every 20 mins or so and just sat with me. The nurses joked with my husband and told him they were gonna hire him cause he was taking such good care of me. I was able to finally go to sleep knowing that he was there and now I felt safe. My surgeon did come in early in the morning and looked me over and told me everything is going wonderful. He told me he had made changes to what he said he was gonna do before, when I seen him the day before my surgery I explained to him that I wanted to get rid of what I call the bull dog look. He stated he didn't know what the outcome might be. Apparently he came back in that evening after his work day was done and retaliated all his numbers. Turns out that my top jaw was only moved 2mm and not 4mm & centered, bottom jaw was 4mm not the 6 mm that he thought he would, he did have to break my chin and move it 2 mm as well. He wanted to tell me that day in the OR but he seen how upset I was and didn't want to tell that he was making changes as he thought it would make matters worse with me. He was pretty excited with the changes and told me I will be very happy as well.

                                                                              DAY 3


Third day the surgeon came in again and stated that he was taking me off the IV and if I could take my meds orally that he would more and likely send me home. So time came for me to take the meds and I thought to myself how the hell am I pulling this off I can only open my mouth a little but I wanted to go home , I did it !!!!! So shortly later he called the unit I was on and told me I can go home but had to go to his office first . We went through that back door so the other patiences wouldn't see me LOL. Didn't want me to scare them I guess. So he looked at me again and gave me some instructions and a whole bunch of meds and I was on my way. I got home and slept most of the day, it was great to be home. I was able to get my IC condition under control with being able to relax and hot water bottle and lots of rest.



                                                                            DAY FOUR

So by the fourth day my swelling went up real bad but cold and hot compresses really helped me out alot with that. It has been a struggle with not being able to eat solid foods, I have been living off of ice cream and soups, until one day I decided that I will blend up potatoes with lots of milk. Let me tell you OH MY GOD it was the best and filled me up. I can't drink Boost or Ensure as it will get my condition out of control so I wasn't getting enough protein for energy. I did start using gluten free whey with my milkshakes a little at time and it has helped me out. I have gotten very creative with my meals, I have blended potatoes/hamburger together, broke spaghetti into tiny little pieces and lots of sauce and I ate chicken and potatoes yesterday blended mind you.

I am thankful that I don't have elastics, as some people who I have made friends with that I have been talking to from a facebook page ( We got/Need Jaw Surgery) who has recently got this done around the same time as I have, has helped me out in so many ways. We have shared stories and done some comparing twitches and pain. My heart goes out to them as I feel I have no room to complain because they are worse off then me. They have to eat with a syringe bless their souls. I am lucky I currently eat with a small baby spoon. I can get away with alot more then they can.

People ask me how the pain is and to honest with you I can say not bad. Reason being is my condition has alot worse pain that broken jaws go figure eh. I do have a higher tolerance in pain because of my IC so I guess I am lucky in that. Don't get me wrong I do have some discomfort but I take Tylenol for that.

It is funny I have been on blogs and facebook pages about jaw surgery and I can't believe people who say they would do this again. I am sorry maybe I am being a baby but NEVER EVER would I do this again. Nope not me sorry you won't catch me going down this road again I hope and pray. I would rather give birth to a horse then go through this again LOL ... the surgery and being under for 5 hours is what scared me the most.

Well enough said here is a picture of me not to long ago, I am hoping this isn't what I will look like when all said and done. I would like to see more swelling going down. I would like to thank all my friends & family for their support. I don't think I could of gotten through this without you guys!!!!

                                                                           DAY TWELVE 
                                                                          

1 comment:

  1. You are looking amazing, Andrea! That is one huge difference from your first few days & it's going to keep getting better & better! You're BEAUTIFUL! You always were & always will be! You are healing very well & hopefully starting to be able to eat a bit more as time goes on! :)

    ReplyDelete